Fresh Cup Magazine is the coffee and tea industries’ premier monthly trade publication. At Fresh Cup, we’ve spent more than two decades covering the stories of specialty coffee and tea, showcasing tea-growing regions and cutting-edge coffee towns, giving voice to stalwart veterans and visionary newcomers, and digging into issues important to owners and those vital to employees. Our stories have educated our international readership on best business practices and on the amazing things going on in the far-flung corners of these industries. More than anything, Fresh Cup has shown how complex, exciting, sophisticated, and plain cool tea and coffee are.
We need a managing editor to join our small team based in Portland, Oregon. The managing editor works closely with our digital editor and art director to produce the monthly magazine, run our website, and promote the publication within the industry. This ideal candidate has experience in a print production environment, is a grammar enthusiast and meticulous copyeditor, and is familiar with the coffee and/or tea industries.
- Oversees planning and execution of print and digital magazine, including content acquisition, forecasting, and freelancer communications.
- Collaborates with digital editor to create digital campaigns that support major themes of print editorial calendar.
- Writes compelling articles that inform Fresh Cup’s readers of the state of the coffee and tea industries, clueing them in to changes in best practices, business models, technology, and even the way a shot of espresso is pulled.
- Edits and fact checks articles produced in-house and by freelancers. Proofreads magazine multiple times during deadline week.
- Contributes to the creation and sourcing of art work.
- Builds a stable of freelance contributors and works with freelancers to develop columns and articles.
- Manages financial duties related to magazine production, including budgeting and invoicing.
- Contributes to planning of digital content (social media, online articles) to ensure cohesion with print content and adherence to house style guidelines.
- Represents Fresh Cup at social and industry events.
- Some travel required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Five years editing experience or a degree in journalism with a strong portfolio of work.
- Comprehensive understanding of the workflow of a periodical, including content forecasting and print production cycles.
- Intimately acquainted with the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Demonstrated experience working with social media platforms, social media strategy, SEO, and basic digital marketing.
- Strong belief in the supremacy of deadlines and the ability to work with a sense of urgency.
- An excellent eye for editing and a strong command of English grammar. The ideal candidate should be meticulous, work well under pressure and be annoyed this sentence doesn’t follow Chicago style like it should.Thrives as a team member: provides constructive feedback, welcomes the ideas of others, and believes in the power of collaboration.
- Working knowledge of inDesign, Photoshop, and CMS.
- Working knowledge of the specialty coffee industry.
To apply, please send a resume, two recent work samples, and 300 words explaining your motivation and qualification for this position to email@example.com. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Commensurate with experience.