Fresh Cup Magazine is the coffee and tea industries’ premier monthly trade publication. At Fresh Cup, we’ve spent more than two decades covering the stories of specialty coffee and tea, showcasing tea-growing regions and cutting-edge coffee towns, giving voice to stalwart veterans and visionary newcomers, digging into issues important to owners and those vital to employees. Our stories have educated our international readership on best business practices and on the amazing things going on in the far-flung corners of the industries. More than anything, Fresh Cup has shown how complex, exciting, sophisticated, and plain cool tea and coffee are.
We need an associate editor to join our small team based in Portland, Oregon. The associate editor works closely with our editor and art director to produce the monthly magazine, run our website, and promote the publication on social media. This is a great post for someone in the early stages of their career.
- Writes compelling articles that inform Fresh Cup’s readers of the state of the coffee and tea industries, clueing them in to changes in best practices, business models, technology, and even the way a shot of espresso is pulled.
- Works with the editor and art director to develop editorial calendars, plan issues, and ferry the print magazine through production.
- Manages Fresh Cup social media accounts and works with editorial and business staff to improve and increase the publication’s social media presence.
- Contributes to the creation and sourcing of art work.
- Builds a stable of freelance contributors and works with freelancers to develop columns and articles.
- Edits and fact checks articles produced in house and by freelancers. Proofreads magazine multiple times during deadline week.
- Along with editor, the associate editor manages the website and posts stories through the CMS.
- Represents Fresh Cup at social and industry events.
- Some travel may be required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Two years editing experience or a degree in journalism with a strong portfolio of work.
- Comprehensive understanding of social media platforms, social media strategy, SEO, and basic digital marketing.
- Strong belief in the supremacy of deadlines and an understanding of the workflow of a periodical.
- A good eye for editing. The ideal candidate should be meticulous, work quickly and be annoyed that this sentence doesn’t follow Chicago style like it should.
- Working knowledge of inDesign, Photoshop, and CMS.
- Works well as a team member.
- An ability to produce editorial photography.
- Experience in the coffee, tea, or hospitality industries.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and appropriate clips to email@example.com. Include the title of the position in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Commensurate with experience.